1. Officers in permanent service with a normal role:
These are recruited from young people with the correct qualifications who successfully pass a public entrance examination followed by:
- a two year course at the Modena Academy;
- a three year course at the Carabinieri Officers’ Training College graduating with a Degree in Law and rank of Lieutenant.
2. Officers in permanent service with a special role:
These are selected by public examination and qualifications from:
- Officers with 2 years service or discharged who have not reached the age of 32 on 31st October of the year of the public examination;
- Warrant Officers deputizing as Public Security Officers, First and Second Class Warrant Officers with a High School Diploma, with an above average result in the previous 2 year service period, from 26 to 40 years of age as at the date of the public examination.
3. Officers in Permanent Service with a technical-logistic role:
These are recruited by public examinations and qualifications from Italian citizens, male or female, not more than 32 years of age as at the public examination date with a Degree compatible with the following specialist areas:
- Medicine – Pharmacy;
- Veterinary Surgery;
- Forensic Science.
The successful candidates are appointed to the rank of Lieutenant and then Captain at the end of the first year of the course.
4. Auxiliary Officers with a special or technical-logistic role:
These are recruited by public examination and qualifications from Italian citizens, male or female of not more than 32 years of age at the public examination date, with a High School Diploma for the rank of Auxiliary Lieutenant, of Special Role Lieutenant, or a degree in one of the specialized areas as required by the public examination for the rank of Technical-Logistic Auxiliary Lieutenant. The successful candidates are appointed officers at the end of the 16 week maximum training period.
Auxiliary Officers progression path is as follows:
- after 18 months request for a one year extension;
- participation, if under 34 years of age and depending on qualifications, in public examinations for the recruitment of Officers in Permanent Service, either in Special or Technical-Logistic roles.
A proportion, equal to 80% of the available posts, are set aside for the Auxiliary Officers in meritorious service in the Force in public examinations for the recruitment of Officers in Permanent Service in the Technical-Logistic role.
II. Warrant Officers
Term of service Warrant Officers and those in permanent service in the Carabinieri Force are recruited as follows:
a. A proportion, equal to 60% are recruited by public examination and attend a 2 year course for which the following may participate:
- Sergeants, Lance-corporals, Carabinieri, Cadets, Auxiliary Carabinieri and Auxiliary Cadets and Reserve Officers in possession of the necessary qualifications:
- Italian citizens between the ages of 18 and 26, or 28 if they have completed national service and 29 if female, with the following requisites:
. in possession of the right to vote and be elected to public office and with a High School Diploma which may have been attained in the same year as the public examination; single, widowed or married with over 26 years of age;
. with the necessary physical fitness requirements, not less than 1.65 metres in height (1.61 metres for women) and not discharged or considered as temporarily unfit for military service;
. not sentenced for premeditated crime or under judicial preventive measures;
. in possession of the moral and behavioural requirements in accordance with Art. 26 of Law no.53 of lst February 1989, and personal data;
. not discharged from the Armed Forces and associated organizations or dismissed from public entities;
. not accepted by the civil defence service (Law 8th July 1988, no.230);
b. For the remaining 40% available posts, Sergeants, Lance Corporals and Carabinieri are eligible to participate in an internal examination followed by a training period of not less than 6 months.
These are recruited by internal examination followed by a training course of not less than 3 months duration:
- for 70% of the posts available by qualifications only, reserved for Lance Corporals;
- for 30% of the posts available, by public examinations and relevant qualifications, reserved for the ranks of Private First Class, Corporals, Carabinieri and Carabinieri in Permanent Service with at least 7 years of service.
1. The Carabinieri in service are recruited as follows:
- by public examination and relevant qualifications followed by a one year training course according to the decree D.Lgs. no.198/1995 (as announced in Gazzetta Ufficiale della Repubblica Italiana - 4^ Serie Speciale - no. 92, 19th November 1999);
- examinations reserved for Temporary Volunteers (VFB);
- ordinary - in accordance with Decree of the President of the Republic no. 332/1997 for those who will join the Force after serving 3 years in the Army and a subsequent training course;
- temporary - according to Article 21, Law 28th December 2001, no. 448 for those who have served in permanent service for 3 years in the Army with at least 2 years service as a Temporary Volunteer (VFB) having participated in the necessary training courses;
- admission in the 4 years period of service for the Auxiliary Carabinieri, at the end of national service after fulfilling fitness requirements and aptitude tests according to Decree D.Lgs no. 198/1995 and having successfully passed the required training course.